Base your answers on the book. ( smithsonian intimate guide to human origins by Carl Zimmer ) DO NOT COPY DIRECTLY from the book and be as clear as possible.
1. What are the types of interactions between chimps and monkeys ( colobus monkeys and baboons) at Gombe? Give Specific examples from your book.
2. Discuss grooming among primates in general and chimps in particular: who does it and what are its functions. Give specific examples from your book.
3. Discuss the role of the alpha male in a chimpanzee troop, include his prerogatives and responsibilities and what qualities lead to alpha status. What are the benefits to the community as a whole of having a clear alpha?
4. Compare the rise to power of Figan, Freud, and Goblin, i.e. how did they rise to the top of the troop. How did their family relationships affect their attainment of the alpha position ( include their relationships with their siblings and their mothers).
5. Compare chimpanzee and bonobo social structrue; include comparisons of their social hierarchies, comparative hostilities to other groups, hunting, kinship tires, and ways of maintaining or restoring social harmony.
6. What are some ways that humans have used to try to communicate with chimps and bonobos? What do Kanzi and Washoe have to do with human and ape communication?
Watch the Chimpanzee movie by Disney
[url removed, login to view]
1. summarize the plot of the movie.
2. Did you learn anything about chimpanzees from the movie that you did not know from your book?
3. Were there, in your opinion based on your book, errors in the movie ?