I hope you are well? My first enquiry is your current workload, are you free enough to take on another full Android app development project?
I am a back-office (database) developer and 'The Tree People' are clients of mine. I am working through various Kotlin training courses but this project would be beyond my capability for my first Android app, hence putting out here to gather thoughts, quotes etc.
I have attached a very high level overview document that explains the purpose of the app.
The main components of the project are this;
1. Build in Android Studio
2. Code on Kotlin wherever possible
3. App will be run primarily on dedicated Samsung tablets (Active Pro 3), but should be built mobile-first so it can run on alternative hardware in the future.
4. App will download xml data files from a dedicated web server that I will generate
5. XML files will be imported to a local database on the device
6. The UI will use data in the database to populate various drop-down options
7. A selection of data collection forms\activities will allow the app user to collect site data and populate the local database
8. The app will generate xml files and upload these to a dedicated web server
9. *** Not part of the project - I will collect these data files and populate the back-office database ***
10. It is important that the app can operate without any internet connection (using and saving data to it's local database) then upload data when an internet connection later becomes available
An important but as yet unknown part of the process is the data collection. My original idea was to have Adobe PDF files with data collection fields built in. The app would then show the correct PDF to the app user, who would complete the fields and save the PDF. These completed PDF forms could then be uploaded to a web host with the xml file(s) and I could then later extract the form data from the PDF to populate the back-office database.
So I don't know if this is possible? Perhaps with your experience we could discuss this functionality.
The alternative would be to build an activity for each form (approx 15 in all), then collect data that way. The problem is then that the forms will change over time, but if using PDFs we would just replace the PDF for an updated one.
I am estimating about £1500 for the project, you tell me if that is reasonable?
Would love to hear your thoughts?