The goal of this project question is to have some preliminary information about the hardware design of a DSP card.
The main requirement is to protect the firmware against copy.
As an example by merging microprocessor, program memory ad memory bus in a resin, and allowing the access to upgrade the firmware trough a secret communication protocol.
The card will have a microprocessor to manage digital sound up to [url removed, login to view] 24 bit, wit some basic effect, such as filtering & compression.
The external communication is gathered via an USB2 and an Ethernet interface.
It’s also a serial ATA interface to manage a fast HDD.
The direct user interface is via a graphic LCD display, buttons and a rotary wheel.
Sound stream is received from the internal HD or from an USB/Ethernet interface.
A unit can be used as server for other units without internal HD, so the hardware must support the access to many concurrent sound file.
Also the digital output (before DAC) should be protected, because the sound files are crypted).
Some data, such as encryption key and data about card usage, must be stored in protected non-volatile memory.
The system well be realized in many steps, and before realizing the hardware card their functionalities will be emulate in a PC with a sound card. So the microprocessor develop chain should support C language to easily port the software.
The main constraints are
1. protection against firmware copy
2. no cooling fan
3. protection against access to digital audio output (not mandatory but rather important)
We would have:
1. a report about the best protection techniques, their limits and advantages.
2. an indication about the kind of microprocessor, ram, non volatile ram and EEPROM (or the right device to store firmware) to be used
3. possibly some advice about a cheap graphic display to able to visualize a 1/32 octave frequency spectrum
4. if possible we would know how to find an hardware designer to realize the project, and where to produce prototypes, preferably with a Internet bidding system like this