Here are the basic requirements:
* You need to create a 10 x 10 playing field for each player to place their pieces and an additional 10 x 10 playing field to capture their shots at the opposing player
* Each player gets 1 Carrier (5 spaces), 1 Battleship (4 spaces), 1 Frigate (3 spaces), 1 Submarine ( 3 spaces) and 1 Minesweeper (2 spaces)
* Each ship is to be placed on the board horizontally or vertically
Board - The board is 10 x 10 organized with A-J identifiers across the top, and 0 - 9 identifiers down the side
A B C D E F G H I J
Use appropriate symbols to layout the grids (check out the ASCII symbols), and use the notation CHAR-NUMBER (e.g A-2) to indicate where a shot is to be placed.
* There are two players in this game
* Each player gets their turn placing their pieces down on the board
* After each player has placed their pieces they take turns "shooting" at the others board
* If a player's shot hits an opposing player's ship (a spot on the board where a ship is located) then his marking board displays an X in that spot
* If a player's shot misses and opposing player's ships, then a "-" is placed in that spot on his marking board
* If a players ship is hit, his board should show what ship was hit and where
The board should be cleared between players so that each player only sees his ships status and his shots status.