Caveat: this is my first time to use this website. I do not necessarily understand all the conventions, so be very clear to avoid confusion. I may take more time than most to make a decision.
I have written 4 books - three are novels and one is a science/humor book. I have facebook pages for them, but these are very bare. ([url removed, login to view]) I want to create a website with the following functionalities:
1. I can regularly post updates, content, etc. to keep people interested in the page. I will link to this page from the facebook page.
2. people can provide comments or feedback on the page. (TBD if I need to be able to review these before they are posted, I'd like that option though)
3. I can sell the books - people can click a link which will take them to a site (e.g. amazon) where they can buy the books.
4. I can provide some basic information about the different books.
5. I can provide links to visuals from the books, to reviews of the books, stories or articles relevant to the books, other stories of interest, etc.
6. I will write more books in future, so I'd like the capability to add new books. The structure should be one main page and then possibly links to sub-pages for each book with more information. I am not an expert so I'm suggesting here what I think I want, but am happy to hear better solutions :)
7. main page should be an overview page, which would have general information and visuals, and then some sub-pages, (links) to pages like "About the Author", "Books" (which would have a sub-section for each book), "Buy" (where to buy each book - which can also be accessed from the individual book pages),
8. One of the books is called "Dating for Engineers" (it's the comedy/science book), I would like to have one addition link called "Dating for Engineers" where anyone who is an engineer or wants to date an engineer can post some text and e.g. a link to his/her facebook page.
9. People can "follow" the page or submit their email at least, and then it should be possible to send emails to all those who have followed the page.
I think the above is enough idea - possibly if you're an expert, you have much better ideas than I have, and I am very interested to hear them.
I think this is a fairly standard site design - the goal is to be easy to use (for purchase) and interesting (to attract people to it). If you have previously built a website for selling a product and you think modifying that will do the job, that's fine.
Note: these are not best-selling books - I will be lucky to sell 100. So I am not looking to invest a lot of money in a super-duper website. This is more of a hobby for me. But I think having a good website would make the hobby a lot more fun.
Note 2: I am a PhD engineer, but not a software expert (except for CFD and some python). If I were, I would be building the site myself ...