To dig down a bit deeper and give you a comparative in the marketplace- how about we look at Pinterest as an example.
There will be some features that will be different, but this is a good guide.
I've seen a bunch of similar types of software on the market, so it seems like its been done before.
Made a small video to add some context- [url removed, login to view];feature=[url removed, login to view]
Some more notes:
1.I believe it will eventually be like a social network, but not anywhere near something like FB, but more like Pinterest with video.
2. The communication and sign up I'm keeping under wraps, insofar as how people will create engagement, as this is part of the secret as to how the app is going to be used for. Yet, I can say it can be like a pinterest for mobile. This would be a good example or idea. However, I think it will be more like a social site that will allow all different kids of people with interests to connect with each other. When this is launched, I have a few viral ways this will go out to the world and I believe it will make sense for people to participate.
3. It will be like a "Good Samaritan" app, to acknowledge people that help other people and it will come in the form of posting a picture or a video, as an example. Perhaps there could be a reward for doing things, like flowers (example). There is that poker game called Texas Poker, or called pokerist, by KamaGames- they allow people to buy virtual currency and a bunch of things for people to give to others. Take a look at this app to see the large list of virtual things.
4. Standard mock up- well, there are quite a few. When I refer to a mock up, I was more referring to the sign up process. We can model simple sign ups. (I'll attach pics). To me, the simpler in the beginning, the better. There is an app called skout, which has a simple sign up. Don't know if the features I'm looking for are the same, but its an idea. They have 9 boxes on the iPhone- find flirts, flirt buzz, look at me, etc. We can model this and make the buttons do what we want them to do.
5. Anonymous user- if someone wants to post something, we need to get them to sign up with their user name or 10-12 digit alpha-numeric code first. The go through that, which asks them for their country (drop down or scrolling feature on the iPhone menu (see attached pics) and state, city etc. Once this happens, they are now on the system and in the database. They can then start to share things with others.
6. If they decide they want to share, we can have a link to post to FB/TW, if they want to share it with their friends. So it would be on our social network and FB/TW or Pinterest or our "Pinterest". So, people would just use MMS/SMS or post a video clip or picture or send it directly to the user.
7. I was thinking free and they will see ads (like skout and other apps like angry birds) or a $.99 version that is ad free.
8. It would be also great for users to follow each other, so would be a nice to have feature. If its like Pinterest, then they can do the same with likes, comments and re-pinning.
So, perhaps we model this after the pinterest app?
Can you do this?
They do have a request to invite feature as well, but I think we allow people to sign up and not wait.
How would you do this, using which software platform?
I recognize the MMS feature needs to be worked out, as this is a charge on a data plan for everyone, so how do we remedy this?