I want to add an auto updater to a Java application, so users can install updates automatically. It needs to run along conventional lines:
1. User chooses Updates from menu
2. Application looks for Internet connection (if no connection, gives options to open connection or to cancel)
3. Once connected to my host server, looks for updated files
4. If it finds any newer files, informs user and gives option to update
5. Downloads and replaces older files in the application folder
6. Asks user to restart the updated application or quit Updater
The application is cross platform, so the updater needs to work on both the Mac, where files are packaged in the application file, and the PC.
I need to specify the dir path on my server, where the updated files will be stored, in the config or application properties files that accompany the application.
The FTP connection info will need to be obfuscated for security reasons. I need the ability to change this periodically, so will need an obfuscater applette into which I can enter server, user and password info, locate the file in the src code where the obfuscated info is stored, click OK and have the file update with the new info.
If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.