Full Stack Java Developer - Telecommuter: Job Description
Established ecommerce business based in Boston, seeks an experienced full stack Java software developer to support growing business via telecommuting -- This includes Perl scripts and infrastructural services using -- and sometimes designing and developing -- RESTful APIs, developing focused smaller websites and control panels. The candidate will need also assist with DEVOPS, typically on Amazon EC2 instances (virtual machines) running Amazon Linux, such as install software with yum, configure networking and firewalls, configure Apache2 services, edit and test configuration files and generally “run the machine”. Working knowledge of Amazon Web services (AWS) is required, fluency preferred.
As a tele-commuter, you should be a “self-starter”. You should be able to work remotely and independently. You will be asked to attend weekly online status meetings with your workmates and sometimes with clients. You should be articulate enough to convey status and decisions succinctly and with confidence to business stakeholders verbally and in writing. You should be willing to investigate technologies you don’t know or know well to synthesize solutions (or workarounds) to business problems often under deadlines. You should be available for a face-to-face meeting at least once a month in the Boston area.
Specific programming skills, in order of importance, include
• Java JDK 7+ and generally the Java programming knowledge. You should be able to create new classes, modify existing ones, compile classes and so forth
• Perl 5.10+ expertise, including the ability to use cpan to install additional packages.
• SQL query knowledge, including selections and joins
• DBA skills (backups, etc) for smaller MySQL and Postgres database instances
• Working knowledge of git 2.6+, especially the ability to clone/commit/push code to private and github repositories where needed
• Working knowledge of GNU bash 4. This includes the ability to write and debug shell scripts typically less than 200 lines
Nice to haves:
• Knowledge of Ruby 2.3+ and Rails 5
• Ansible, or equivalent
• Knowledge of domain names and a domain name system such as BIND
• Knowledge of dns query tools such as ‘whois’ or ‘dig’
• Knowledge of RESTful APIs or the ability to learn them effectively
• Working knowledge of Kayako Fusion, including its RESTful API
• Knowledge of API specification technologies such as swagger
• Working knowledge of the Extensible Provisioning Protocol (EPP) and XML
• Experience with client/server protocols in various guises such as EPP or HTTP
• Some knowledge of SSL and SSH and HTTPS certificates and key material
• Mongodb working knowledge, especially the CRUD operations on collections
• Experience with MIVA Merchant ecommerce software