On the Server Side:
1. The ability to choose one of ten files files to download to my local computer.
2. Along with that file, some extra parameters are passed such as: File type, Title, author, length, description, category, language, creation date, etc. These parameters can be hard coded into the script because they'll rarely change. These files can be video files, images, .pdf, text or XML documents.
3. The file is downloaded to a directory on my local machine. The parameters are saved to a local DB that is saved on my machine for offline access.
4. This action could be repeated so that I could eventually get all ten files on my local machine if I so choose.
On my Local Machine (this needs to work in offline mode)
1. A HTML page that lists the files that I've uploaded giving the title, description, and other details.
2. With each listing their is an "action" button that when clicked, does the desired action. So for a video file, it begins playing. An image is displayed; an XML document would be appropriately parsed and then When I click on the "play" button, the video begins playing.
So bottom line, what I'm looking for is the ability to upload a file to my local machine (i.e. including mobile phones and tablets) that can later be viewed, played or acted on, in an offline mode from a broswer application.