I require information on the best approach to enable my Japanese partner to move to Australia permanently to share our life together. We specifically need to know which visa to apply for to allow her to legally stay in Australia permanently so we can be together.
- We appear to have two visa options to apply for: a Partner Visa or a Prospective Marriage Visa.
- Under a Partner Visa, it appears we can either apply as (an already) married couple or as a de facto relationship.
- To be granted a Partner Visa as a de facto couple, it appears we need to satisfy the '12-month requirement', which we may not meet due to our current circumstances, or that we may not be able to meet in the future due to other restrictions.
- I am an Australian citizen currently living and working in Australia.
- I have a Japanese partner who is currently living and working in Japan.
- We are unmarried.
- She is over thirty, is a native Japanese speaker, and speaks near-fluent English.
- We want to share our life together in Australia.
- My partner does not want to renounce her Japanese citizenship but rather aim for Australian permanent residency.
- We want to marry eventually, if not soon to facilitate the visa process.
- We want to minimise the cost of applying for visas and visa support if need be, including registered Migration Agents.
- My partner ideally wants to be able to work in Australia while waiting for any potential onshore visas in Australia.
- As a last resort (due to exorbitant costs and lack of relevance), my partner is willing to study to be able to enter and stay in Australia temporarily.
- We want to be living together in Australia by the beginning of 2014.
- Ideally (although not necessary), my partner would like to move to Australia no earlier than about October 2013 due to her work commitments in Japan.
- We do not want to be apart any longer, and thus cannot afford (in both emotional and monetary terms) to have a visa denied or delayed or have conditions imposed on my partner that deny her any future entry into Australia.
- We have been together as a couple since August 2012.
- We have only lived together for a non-consecutive period totalling just over a month since August 2012; otherwise we have been living apart.
- My partner has lived and worked in Australia on a working-holiday visa in the past.
- I have met my partner's family in Japan, but she has not yet met mine (in person).
I want a report detailing:
- any and all of the options we have available to us (specifically, in regard to visas) to enable my Japanese partner to move to and settle in Australia permanently to enable us to share our life together in Australia.
- the approach that will be the most hassle-free, cost-effective and timely.
- the approach that will have the highest certainty of success and the things we can do on our part to increase the level of certainty for the visa that we apply for.
I DO NOT want a reproduction of already-available information on numerous government websites describing partner migration that our own research has shown and that we can easily find ourselves. I want to be made aware of unique, creative or clever STRATEGIES or IDEAS or THOUGHTS or CONSIDERATIONS or ISSUES that will facilitate our applying for the most efficacious visa that incorporates the necessary research where applicable. I want proposals that we may have not yet considered that highlight things we have not yet done ourselves, that we should be doing now, or that we might need to do in the future. I want links to be made that draw together various pieces of information from various sources so we can proceed down the best path.
This is a project requiring your thinking backed up by research.