Pick two questions from each section.
1. What tools can you use to schedule a task to run automatically at certain times?
2. What functions, libraries, or services might an application use to resolve DNS names?
3. How can you investigate precisely what a native executable is doing on a Linux server?
4. What affects a user's ability to access a file?
5. How would you check the status of running services?
6. How would you check for system errors or warnings during a particular time period?
7. What problems do packaging systems (RPM, DEB, etc) solve?
8. What is systemd good for? What is it bad for?
1. What is your experience supporting Active Directory or compatible services?
2. What is a GPO?
3. How can you override DNS resolution on a Windows server? If you find that overriding DNS resolution isn't working in your browser, what would you suspect?
4. What do Docker for Windows and Windows Subsystem for Linux have in common?
5. What affects a user's ability to access a file?
6. How would you check the status of running services?
7. How would you check for system errors or warnings during a particular time period?
1. What does it mean for a firewall to be stateful vs stateless? What are some example implementations of and use cases for each type?
2. What is ICMP? What is it used for?
3. What are the "layers" in a modern networking stack?
4. What is SDN? What issues does it solve? What implementations have you worked with? Does it have any disadvantages?
5. What is the metric "RTT" and what is it indicative of?
6. What is the expected time to transfer 50 GiB over a 1GigE link? Show your work.
7. In the context of DNS, What is IDN?
#Web Servers and Services
1. What is the difference between HTTP/2 and earlier versions of HTTP?
2. How would you test retrieving a specific URL from the command-line? What if the URL requires authentication?
3. What is REST?
4. How might you troubleshoot a page that was failing to load completely?
5. What are the benefits of HTTPS over HTTP?
6. How might you implement rate throttling on a web service you support?
7. What is a CDN? What are the benefits of using one? If a CDN was persistently delivering a stale version of a critical resource, how might you address or workaround that issue?
# Programming and Scripting
1. Share a clever shell command that you have found useful in your work. Explain what it does and how.
2. What is your preferred method for parsing tabular data (ps output, ls output, simple configuration files) from the Unix command line? What alternatives do you know of?
3. Share your opinions on divisive issues like: Tabs vs spaces, Comments, IDEs, technical debt, build systems, and the merits of various modern programming languages.
4. What is an exception? How might you prevent a user from seeing one? When would that be appropriate?
5. What is the difference between method overriding and method overloading?
6. What is the difference between imperative, object-oriented, and functional programming?
7. Share an implementation of FizzBuzz. Explain why you picked it, or why you wrote it the way you did.
# Databases and Distributed Systems
1. What does ACID mean?
2. Why might one use an outer join in a SQL query?
3. Can NoSQL databases be used to store representational data?
4. What is the CAP theorom?
5. What is the thundering herd problem and how can it be avoided?
6. In relational databases what is an index good for?
7. What cluster coordination software have you worked with? What was your experience with them like?