Hello. Here is an explanation of the functionality that we will require on this project and would like to hear your thinking in regards to the technology that would be best suited to our situation.
We are hoping to have a solution developed for a Taxi Company which will consist of an Android app to track Taxi locations in real-time and have the location data monitored at the business office in the form of a web dashboard. We plan to base this on an open source application, such as Traccar or OwnTracks.
We will add extra (currently unrelated) functionality to this app and would like to integrate the Google Maps API or an alternate map engine if the Maps API isn’t suited for our needs. The main functions we want this app to server are:
We require GPS navigation in our app and would like to use the Google Maps engine/API for this. As well as navigation we require the following GPS data to be grabbed and sent to the web dashboard:
• Current GPS location
• Distance (in kilometres) to the destination
• Approximate time of arrival and/or how far (in minutes) to the destination
We want the above information to be sent periodically (every 15 seconds or so).
From our understanding, the Google Maps API should be suitable (ie. we can integrate it into an Android app). The core API is able to be integrated into an android app and display a map, it can also plot points on the map and plot the user’s current location via GPS.
We are looking to hire a freelancer to build the Android app for us, but this freelancer project we just want:
• A freelancer to suggest which open source app (Traccar or OwnTracks) will be the better to product to base our app off.
• A freelancer to confirm that we can ‘embed’ Google Maps in our Android app and use its GPS navigation and distance-to-destination features.
• We will also need the freelancer to give us an approximate cost to build these features into the Android app.
We have about two months to build this app, and as mentioned are looking to get input from the freelancer now before they are awarded the project to implement the Android app.
We look forward to your bids and any clarifying questions you may have.
(To clarify, we are not looking for someone to build the web dashboard. This will be done by someone else. We are just after an Android developer).