I am the race director for a mountain biking series in Western Australia. I currently use Airtable to organise the business and some databases. This can includes event information and race results databases. Fundamental to the mountain biking race series is event timing. We have a website [login to view URL] and the timing is simply uploaded as a html table which is okay but I think having a mobile application can improve the business in a number of ways:
- push notifications (event reminders, emergency notifications or event notifications, following a particular riders results)
- event information
- register for event (embedding weblink into app)
- I have some historic datasets from previous races that I am currently organising and would love the ability to create a mobile app for competitors to search their results, compare them with other riders and perhaps track their progress
- I also use a professional timing system that can push current race data to an ftp site. If possible, it would be great to implement to push this ftp data into Airtable and then into the app.
- the above are pretty important but Id also be interested in allowing the user to add notes about their race, such as weather and trail conditions, tyre selection, bike type, bike setup, other notes etc so they can keep a record of their bike setup and query this information in future. Users may need some login or id process here to save their notes to their 'profile.'
I have been playing around with DIY apps like appinstitute shoutem etc with limited success and I have no idea how to query my Airtable database.
The final app needs to allow me to make modifications easily to content such as event information. Airtable has the ability to SMS contacts so this could be integrated with the app? Obviously a competitive monthly fee for the app is also appreciated. I have attached a simple diagram explaining how I think the systems can talk to each other? eg Registration System <-> Airtable databases <-> Mobile Application
Down the track, it would be great to be able to have some eCommerce with merchandise for sale. Not essential for this project but something to keep in mind to ensure the app is 'future-proof.'
There is an application similar to what I am thinking of called Epic Series. In particular, head to the Cape to Cape link down the bottom and select riders. Something along these lines would be awesome! I have attached some screenshots of how it looks.
The key skillsets for this project will be iOS/Android App development, some knowledge of Airtable and databases and perhaps Zapier.
To view our website, head to [login to view URL] which may help for styling and more about the organisation.