I am in the exploratory phase of the creation of a relatively simple (hopefully) website. I am trying to raise funds to cover all startup costs, but need to have a better idea of what exactly I am looking at here. I have listed the necessary functionality and the ‘would be nice’ functionality separately because of obvious reasons (‘would be nice’ functionality is not needed at this point in time). Please specify roughly what functionality your bid includes… exact details can discussed later. I don't know what language/interface should be used, but it seems php and mysql are popular. i am open to bidder opinions. All bids and correspondence will be taken into account for when a decision is finally made. It is likely that more functionality will need to be added in the future, so keep in mind the fact that I will return to you if I am happy with your work.
-the actual design of the website is actually not very important since I have sufficient experience here, but I would need help with interacting with the programmed scripts. That being said, the design of an economical website would be considered.
- User registration: simple. I should be allowed to turn off/on a user’s ability to enter certain sections. There should be a time constraint to their accounts (either always active, active for a month, active for a year). I should also be allowed to create/erase user accounts… All very simple and straightforward tasks. If there is someway to tie this to paypal, that’d be nice.
- User submission: selected users should be able to submit listings. They should also be able to post comments to accepted listings and have other basic interaction with these listings (ie. voting, recommend other user comments). These submission titles/info should be searchable by selected users and a system should be in place for basic verification (ideally, something editable along the wikipedia model) of the submitted info and to prevent replicates
- Forum: unless you can show me something else, I would probably just get a license for a vbulletin board. Ideally I would like users to only log in once, but it seems like vbulletin requires their own user registration.
- Ability to call information from an excel file: not clear if this is the best way, but I basically will be doing some regressional analysis of a big pile of data and just want certain data to show up on the website and some simple if/then statements that call certain images or bits of text when a data value is in certain ranges, etc. (I guess a lot of this is just telling me how to do this based on what system is setup)
- As much automation as possible to prevent a lot of manual labor: I would like to be able to call a lot of data from ebay and other websites that list prices and objects, so that I don’t have to manually do this daily. Some interaction with ebay auctions would also be an added bonus. An example (I don’t know how easy this is to do) would be a registered user of the site has his ebay listings automatically posted on my site and their completed auction history saved and accessible.
- Master controls: I should be able to go through user submitted listings and edit/accept them to be listed on the main page
The possibly more complicated functionality
- Selected users have own subsite and/or email address (with website’s domain name): for example, [url removed, login to view] and johndoe(at)[url removed, login to view] . The subsite does not need to be completely customizable at this point, but at least be able to put info here and there and be able to list things. The subsite would list selected information about the user’s history at this site (voting/listing comment/forum history) and others (ie. if possible, ebay listings)
- Set up some sort of matching service: basically a stock market model where users submit a bid price and other users can submit asking prices. Users can click on the bid or ask to match up with them and allow them to exchange info.
-A social community dynamic: selected users have access to a simple social network following the footsteps of friendster/myspace. Very basic model at this point…