I am a digital publisher. I am currently using a AS2 Flash component using XML that I customized to create interactive flip books for my clients. As I have started working with bigger clients, they have asked for more functionality and I have outgrown the capabilites of my current viewer skin. The flash component author will not release the source code to me, so I am unable to add the needed functionality to my current setup. I need to work with a developer who can create a new application for me to convert and display the flip books. I would like to have Flash .fla files and XML be part of the final package so I can change icons and tweak things if I want to.
Here is a list of the curent functionality I have as well as what I need going forward:
- incorporate a utility to convert PDF/doc/ppt/txt files to swf files and to extract html text to allow page content to be seen by search engine spiders
- page navigation buttons for next page, previous page, front cover and back cover.
- button to display thumbnails of the pages that when clicked, will take you to the selected page
- have book open to the full width of the browser and a full screen toggle button to go full screen
- print button that gives a choice to print left page, print right page, print two pages or print range
- buttons to toggle bewteen single page and double page view
zoom button that brings up a small viewer popup with a zoom slider and a small view of the page with marquee box showing current zoom area so you can drag the marquee to move around the page
- ability to also click on the page to zoom in/out and drag page around to see different areas of the zoomed page
- ability to set the clickable area at the page corners to enable page turning when the page is clicked.
- sound effect when page is turned.
- button to email and add to social media - possibly embed SHARE THIS or ADD THIS widget
- button to download offline edition - either PDF or EXE file
- button to add to broswer favorites and book mark
- help button that will display help text, which I can edit
- button to perform keyword search that will display all results and allow reader to click on any result and go directly to that page in the book
- current page display with ability to offset the page number currently being displayed if the paper book does not start numbering on page 3
- ability to click from the flash pages to links embedded in the PDF, both external (URL, email address) as well as another page in the document (page numbers in book's table of contents page)
- button to display interactive Table of Contents and separate button to display advertiser's index, both of which you can click and they will take reader directly to that page
- ability to embed video and audio in the flash pages that will not be blocked by a popup blocker
- rollover tips when you rollover a link to a video, podcast, URL, email address or link to another page in the document.
- ability to change background color or wallpaper image behind book
- ability for me to go in and change color schemes, button icons or add a client's logo to the viewer skin
- ability to load large books (100-200 pages) without long waits, maybe using a scheme that only loads pages when they are called up or only loading so many pages at one time?
- to visually have these menu buttons and their small windows accordion, so only the buttons are available until the button is clicked, then the small window opens out
- ability to make the viewer buttons visible/invisible in the viewer skin depending on the needs of the client.
I host my books on a hosting service that is Linux based with mySQL, PHP and XML as available options. I currently do the conversions by hand and upload the files to the server when Im done. Ideally I would like to have flow through process that allows my clients to upload their documents and have the flash flip book come out the other end so I can just deliver the link to them via email. Let's talk about how to get the new viewer setup like this where it is all a flow through.
Since I am hosting my own books, I also want this new app to have the ability to deliver analytics down to the book page level using my Google Analytics account. Ideally, I could create individual profiles/accounts for each of my clients and they will be able to login and pull reports that show them how many times a page was viewed (actual book page, not HTML page), what links were clicked through, how long viewers stayed on the pages and other behaviors that will assist them in analyzing ROI and most popular content. We can do this as part of this project or as a separate project.
Finally, I want to have the option in the future to create content for mobile devices, so this will be important to insure that any design includes the ability to provide this content in the future.
A good example of what we are aiming for overall would be [url removed, login to view]'s Flip Viewer XPress, [url removed, login to view], or [url removed, login to view]
Thanks you and I look forward to taking your bids!