We have a few e-mail accounts (normal POP3) which we use as senders for sending emails to our clients (absolutely no spam). We get soft bounces like "out of office" etc. and hard bounces like "receiver unknown" etc..
We would like a PHP program (started as cron job) to:
1. Fetch a given number of bounce emails from mail accounts specified in database.
2. Analyze the bounces and find the reason
3. Update microsoft sql server database with mailbounces and set a code for the reason. Also set a code for: Permanent errors like receiver unknown resp. temporary errors like mailbox full. No code or error for soft bounces like "Out of office".
4. Delete the handled emails from email account
5. Forward all valid emails to an internal email server and address
Today we use a windows software named "Email bounce handler", [url removed, login to view] If you study this software you understand what kind of analyze we need.