© Russell Holland 23 January 2004
A Microsoft and *nix server program (or service) that can be installed on an existing web server to receive an email that contains a photo attached.
The photo then gets extracted from the email and saved to a directory where it can be displayed in a public web page.
The admin of the server can specify which email address can be used and where to save the photos in the file system to allow for many web sites / users on a single server to have the facility.
Each user may have different domain names and the server the system lives on may not be the email server for that domain ??" so the email could be using a redirected email alias.
The user takes a photo via a camera equipped phone, enters the special email address of the server, the subject which is used as the page name to display the image and some text content in the subject of the email which is used for the description of the image.
The server receives the email and parses the content as above and saves the photo and description into the appropriate directory on the web server.
Then an asp, aspx or php script can display the image to the public web visitor.
· A user can also use regular email to send a photo
· An enhancement could be to allow for the image to be resized according to preset entered height and width attributes (pixels)
· The Web Photo Server possibly needs to operate on the same machine as an email server ??" so either use a different port or perhaps set up a dns entry (username at [url removed, login to view]) for the server and use the standard ports (so there’s no issue with firewalls / gateways). Emails could then get assigned as email aliases.
· Security could be used with a password in the subject line ??" perhaps have that as optional when the user is set up
· The Web Photo Server could also send a confirmation email back to the user to confirm ??" perhaps have that as an option when the user is set up
· Microsoft is the preferred server environment at the moment ??" but it would be ideal to have cross server support.
· The Web Photo Server should have inbuilt spam protection (see password above) and automatically bounce any email not for a user within the system.
1) Complete and fully-functional working program(s) in executable form as well as complete source code of all work done.
2) Installation package that will install the software (in ready-to-run condition) on the platform(s) specified in this bid request.
3) Exclusive and complete copyrights to all work purchased. (No GPL, GNU, 3rd party components, etc. unless all copyright ramifications are explained AND AGREED TO by the buyer on the site per the coder's Seller Legal Agreement).
Microsoft Win2k and above (minimum)
*nix as well would be great
GUI could be browser based