A better way to describe what we need is a database of products with searching of common marketplaces so a user can review, buy, sell, or research or product.
ITEMS DATABASE, MAIN PAGE:
The Classifieds page will be like this: [login to view URL] It will include categories and subcategories.
ITEMS DATABASE, CATEGORY/SUBCATEGORY PAGES:
Depending on the category selected by the user, different items grouped by brands will be displayed:
[login to view URL]
You'll notice there are 4 buttons: Own It, Used It, Want It, Watch It. We need to keep them and add the stats on each product specifying how many users own it, used it, want it or are watching it.
- If the user Owns the item, it will be added to a user studio gallery:
[login to view URL]
- If the user Wants It, it will add it to a Wish List on the user studio gallery as well.
- Members who click Watch It will be updated if threads are posted that tag this product, and any updates to the product page are made (new reviews, items listed for sale and items wanted to buy).
ITEMS DATABASE, PRODUCT PAGES:
Page products will look like [login to view URL] with the same 4 buttons (own it, used it, want it, watch it).
There will also be a Sell It button, which will open a New Thread page on a specific forum I'll set.
I am also going to need a section in the admin panel where I can add categories and subcategories, items, pictures, read reviews and all the information about a particular item.
I want to ask if it is possible via API to search ebay, amazon, sweetwater, and reverb for a product. If the search turns out any results the products results will appear. If there is not an exact match for the product, it won't be listed. If your answer is "no can't do that" then we will have to reach out to these retailers. I have direct relationships with all of them and they can help me with this part.
I will reach out to Sweetwater and Reverb to see what is possible. Consider Ebay and Amazon part of the initial project. Including performing an automatic search for the product and then populating the results on the product page. And including affiliate link creation and tracking. It is something that is added to the URL. You will need to use the API. It may help to review how the solid mean plug in for xenforo is doing it
For the above retailers, I'd like there to be affiliate tracking. As you may know, there is an affiliate tracking plug in for amazon and ebay for xenforo called the amazon/ebay parser
A search bar will search just the database and will give results of products with an image, like you see when you try searching on Gear Slutz
An admin would create the categories the brands and the products. It would be helpful if there was CSV upload capability for products as well as their categories. Members can also submit a product, which would require admin approval.
The layout will be exactly like GearSlutz. I would include some advertising slots that they don’t have. I would want three versions desktop, tablet, mobile. On my forums, we have forced desktop, tablet, and mobile views, as opposed to using responsive. This works better with ads. We have specific ads for each view instead of doing responsive
Ideally, Amazon, Ebay, Sweetwater, Chicago Music Exchange, and Reverb will all be searched for each item. If there are results, they will show up on the item page. If there are no results, no items will show. I know that this is possible with Amazon and Ebay. It is likely that we will have to do some work directly with the other three companies to set up custom searches. I have relationships with the other three companies. These links need to have affiliate tracking. This is an important piece of the project because it will ultimately pay for it.
- The review section should be a full editor
- The videos should be manual submissions that come from members. Moderators must approve videos before they are posted live. --
This is a short description of all the points:
- Two tabs: categories and manufacturers
- Categories: list of categories and subcategories along with the amount of products of each category.
- Manufacturers: list of manufacturers alphabetically ordered and categorized.
- All items belonging to a category are displayed
- If an item has an image, display it in the category view.
- Pagination is recommended (currenlty there's an infinite scroll and the browser can get really slow because of this. For exapmle https://www.gearslutz.com/board/gears.php?catid=51 and scroll several times down).
- Two column layout
- 4 call to action buttons on each item: Own it, used it, want it, watch it.
- Statistic of members who use an item and total products belonging to that category
- One image per item
- Call to action for Own it, Used it, Want it and Watch it along with stats
- Call to action for Selling it that will open a new thread in a specified forum.
- Discussions highlight section with the latest discussions tagged with this product.
- Review section with the latest reviews tagged with this item.
- Video guides section with embedded youtube videos
- Product description
User profile integration:
- A new tab on each user profile to show off the user studio gallery (owns it and wants it section)
- Users will be notified by email and the alert system when a thread is tagged with a product they are watching
- Threads can be tagged with an item from the database
- Possibility to be integrated with the Tagging system in XF1 (needs to investigate first)
- Items in the database should be 100% integrated with the XF1 search engine.
- Options page
- Permissions for reading, creating, editing, deleting and searching items
- Permissions for using the different call to actions buttons (own it, want it, etc).
- CRUD (create, read, update, delete) for categories, subcategories and brands.
Editorial options (interface to create and edit items)
- All editorial options (create, edit and delete items) will be at the public area of the forum, not the admin area (this is the XF standard).
- Controlled by user group permissions