I would like to start a marketplace that serves both digital products and digital services, where people could sell Art they've already made or accept commissions for new pieces. In the latter they should be able to communicate back and forth to settle a price and deliver the finished product through the marketplace. After much research I believe either WC Vendors or Easy Digital Downloads would be the plugin I would use alongside WordPress. From what I understand they support most features I want, but might require slight customization regarding the selling of services.
To quickly summarize, there will be two main components of the site. The first is your regular multi-vendor experience that I know those platforms will be able to handle where vendors put digital products for sale, customers purchase, download and leave reviews with the website earning a percentage of the sales. The second would be services and it's the part I need customized. The website will be focused on digital art, so some customers will want to commission an artist to do a digital piece for them.
The flow would be something like this:
1. The vendor first sets up a services listing (just like a product page but with this specific workflow attached to it), with samples of their art and a price list instead of a set price; nobody should be able to just purchase any service outright.
2. The potential customer would then send a message through the website to request a quote based on their needs. A logged in user should *always* message the vendor outlining what they need to request a quote. They can message back and forth as needed.
3. If the vendor accepts, they set a price and estimated delivery date. The customer should be able to pay directly from their conversation.
4. The payment goes into the website's PayPal account.
5. The artist uploads and delivers the piece through the website (it should be attached to that purchase).
6. Once the customer downloads the piece, they have a few days to either confirm it is what they ordered or raise an issue.
7. Assuming there are no issues, the payment (minus a percentage that the site keeps) is released to the vendor.
In broad strokes that's what the site will be all about. The vast majority of it will be handled by WordPress and the chosen ecommerce plugin, but the services part as outlined above is what will need to be customized. Most of these things can be accomplished with additional plugins, such as the Offers plugin linked directly on the WC Vendors site or Custom Deliverables in the case of Easy Digital Downloads. However I would prefer to have something that has this specific workflow rather than modifying it to fit those plugins.