I have a project that I actually think some php / MySQL gurus out there would have fun working on.
I've done most of the grunt work and planning for this project, and now I just need someone that's good with coding and that has some HTML/CSS layouts to finish this project.
The basic concept of this project is that I'd like to have the script phpBible ([url removed, login to view]) work in Portuguese and English (and maybe Spanish soon).
I've already installed the script on my server for testing and I've played with it some.
[url removed, login to view]
The modifications that I'd like to incorporate are the following:
(*Please look at the site and try the script for a while. in order to better understand these requests*)
1. The database structure would have to include the Portuguese Bible as well as the English one already provided with the software. (I already have a Portuguese Bible all neatly formatted verse by verse in either a text format or an excel format).
2. The database would have to be structured in such a way to allow for additional versions / languages to be added in the future. The important thing to remember about this is that not all versions have the exact number of verses in each chapter of the Bible and some versions might even seem to "skip" a few verses going from verse 6 to 8 for example.
3. The page width would have to be variable width that could be chosen by the admin. Right now the site is stuck with a width of about 660 pixels. I personally will need to use it with a width of 555 to fit the center column of my site.
4. Right now the script only lets you use one Bible version / translation. This content is always displayed in the first of two columns. I'd like for the users to have the choice for using either a wide views or two columns to show the content, with the default being the wide view (it would take up the full width of the area). The user could choose to see two Bibles at once (both showing the same verses), one in each column.
5. This should be real simple. In the English version of phpBible, you can choose to see the text in a verse by verse mode, or you can see it paragraph mode. In paragraph mode it pulls data from the database about which verses start with paragraphs. I'd for this pulled from the current database and applied to the Portuguese version and other versions as well.
6. This is the feature that lets you click on certain key words and it pops up a D-HTML window that gives you further meaning of the word. You’ll know what I’m talking about if you visited the sites listed above. Since I don’t have any of this data in Portuguese, it would only need to work in the English version. It would be nice if one day we could hook the Portuguese words to the Lexicon numbers just like in English and have the pop-ups work, but that isn't needed for now. Also I'd like an option to completely turn those off even in the English version so words will no longer be linked. This option would be for the user and for the admin.
D-HTML popup location:
7. Right now the popup always show up in the bottom of the second column. I'd like for it to show up in the complete bottom right hand corner of the browser.
Increase Search Limit:
8. Right now you can only see 20 searched verses at once, I'd like for the user to be able to select in a dropdown from many more choices ranging from 10-100.
*D-HTML entire verse highlighter:
9. This would be a new feature that you can turn on or off up top like the other options. Basically it would highlight in a real light shade whatever verse your mouse is over. I don’t know if I want this would be worth the effort, but maybe it could even highlight in a stronger tone whatever verse you clicked on. This verse would stay highlighted in the stronger tone until you click on it again. *If you can’t do this one and still would like to bid on this project, that's fine, just let me know.
Simple MP3 Flash player:
10. I did the grunt work and I made individual MP3's of each individual verse of the Bible in Portuguese. Currently I'm uploading them all 31000 of them to my server. These are neatly organized by unique file names just like the verses in the database. I'd like it for when people click on the final verse number that they would get a simple flash MP3 player to pop-up in a separate window and play that verse. Example: Genesis 27:4 --> the “4” would like to the audio, while the “Genesis 27” would continue to link as it does now to that location of the Bible. The user also always has an option to click on a speaker icon on the top and the bottom of the listed passages, to listen to the entire text that he sees on his screen. It could be done by generating m3u's on the fly or something like that. This would also open the flash mp3 player in a popup. Ideally if we can get option #9 to work, I'd like to see the verses being highlighted as they are played in the player. For starters the audio would only work with Portuguese, but in the future it should be able to work with the English version (after I upload the MP3 for that language).
If you prefer not to use a flash mp3 player I'd be even ok just embeding the standard windows player, but the important thing would be that people could listen to each passage or all the passages at once.
All be Easy to Reinstall:
11. Right now the script is easy to install. It needs to be remain easy to reinstall with these new features so that I can add this to other sites later on.
Enhance the [url removed, login to view] script
12. Basically I would like it for that all the new features that are added would be controllable via the already existing admin area. This would be for things like choosing the width, turning on or off completely languages, lexicons and things of this sort.
**Bonus feature Joomla:
13. If you can make this a joomla extension and have it install as a joomla extension as well as install stand alone, I'd be real excited. **Don’t worry if you can’t do this. Just let me know if its included in the bid or not.
Even though I wrote a lot of details here I really don’t think this project is all that hard or that it should take all that long to do. All in all it's for a good cause too (all non-profit).
When bidding please sign off on each of the points that you feel that you can do so I know that you understand what needs to be done and that you can follow directions.
Thanks so much for your time,