We looking for someone who can solve the issue for magneto 1.9.1 while sending emails ( customer notifications, order emails to both the sales department and customer).
This happened when we moved our website from the old server to new.
We find the following errors while extension self-test,
SMTP Pro Self Test Results
Sending test email to your contact form address: XXX from: xxx. Unable to send test email.
Exception message was: Could not open socket
Please check the user guide for frequent error messages and their solutions.
Default templates exist.
Email communications are enabled.
Required database tables exist.
Testing failed, please review the reported problems and if you need further help visit the support page or contact me via xxx for support.