COMPUTER GAME "MODS" -- FIRST SOME BACKGROUND...
We have a list of hundreds of on-line computer game "Mods", that were created around the period of 2002-2003.
Mods (modifications) are software programs that have been written to change how a computer game works. A mod can categorized as belong to one of the following categories:
1> An "add-on" or something that does not fundamentally change how a game works, but changes isolated elements of the game. For example, the weapons that a character in a game can use.
2> A "skin" or something that does not change the play of the game, but the way it looks
3> A "new game" or something that takes a first game and so fundamentally changes it that the mod is effectively a new game
WHAT WE NEED DONE
o Take the list of computer game mods and code each as either an "add-on" a "skin" or a "new game"
o Any other descriptions or variables you can collect are also desirable and we will consider this as adding value to your proposal
* One approach is to take an excel file of specific mods for specific games that we can give you. Alternatively, you might try to collect information on the population of mods. There are sites such as [url removed, login to view], which may provide you with insights on how to approach this.
SPECIFIC EXPERTISE WE ARE SEEKING
> Reliability, accuracy, good project management and communications
> Desk research skills, creating data sets
> Proposal of clear, sensible approach to accomplishing the task
> Knowledge of computer games, first person shooter games or mods is desirable but not necessary
End of May or ASAP
- Have a specific plan that will assure a proper, comprehensive sample (if you come up with a brilliant approach that makes the job "easy" for you to deliver a high quality data set, I won't hold that against you!)
- Quality, precision, clarity
- Reliability, reliability, reliability
- If you would like to propose a data set with a larger sample or more variables, you are welcome to do so
- Proposing to build a database with more variables for each mod, is also desirable
* It is important to propose a good approach to the work, rather than just "devoting hours". For