Management and Leadership
Assignment 1 - written report (60%)
All organisations are different and unique to their particular sector and culture. They will have their own methods for example; approach of management styles and structure of the organisation. In order to be competitive organisations need to analyse their business environment, they have to plan for the future and may have to make internal changes.
The banking industry constantly experience change due to external factors, consumer demands and trends. These factors will have an effect on the overall management of an organisation.
Research the recent takeover of Northern Rock to Virgin Money. Demonstrate your understanding of the following:
• Forms of structure and behaviour of organisations and management.
• Management and leadership styles
• Change management
• Planning and policy development
• Identify business methods used and popular theories applied by organisations.
From your research discuss the following:
1. Identify the structure, behaviour and management styles of Virgin Money. Compare this with other types of structures and other types of management styles. (20%)
2. How does the organisation apply principles of direction, co-ordination and motivation within their organisation? (20%)
3. Identify key elements of management and their interrelationship in the management of change. (20%)
4. Why do businesses change in response to internal and external factors (20%)
5. What forecasting factors and methods and planning objectives for policy formation can they adopt? (20%)