The objective of the project is to simulate the operation of MIPS five stages pipelined
processor using JAVA. In this project, both the datapath and control unit need to be
The Datapath of a MIPS processor can be described as logical layout of the processor.
The Datapath include components of the processor that perform arithmetic operations and holds
data. The Datapath with all the modules for different implementations of the MIPS instruction
set need to be constructed, and an implementation that includes a subset of the core MIPS
instruction set need to be simulated.
The control unit is the component of the processor that commands the Datapath, memory,
and I/O devices according to the executed instructions. The task of the control unit can be
thought of as a conductor in a symphony. As an instruction is executed, the control unit directs
each involved module to function in a certain way.
The following main points need to be implemented:
1. The major MIPS instruction formats:
2. A simple and representative subset of the MIPS instruction set that includes:
1. The memory-reference instructions: load word (lw) and store word (sw).
2. The arithmetic-logical instructions: add, addi, sub, and, or, and slt.
3. The branch instructions: beq, bne.
4. The jump (j) instruction.
3. The main modules of the MIPS processor which are required when executing a
particular instruction of each of the major MIPS instruction formats.
4. Processor control path