Note: User marioalonzo is my preferred developer for this project.
I need a VB6 application to download a sql file via CGI and import it into a mysql db. It needs to report any problems to the user.
As per issue1169, this doesn't appear to be possible VB6. So can it be done in a COM object that I can call from VB6?
The COM object will have a single function Download_Import() with input parameters as follows:
* cgi URL
* cgi basic-auth user
* cgi basic-auth password
* cgi timeout (in case I need to extend from VB)
* temp dir (to download the file to)
* mysql host
* mysql database
* mysql user
* mysql password
Return value: something to indicate success or details of failure
* the CGI script may take several minutes to generate the data
* the CGI script can return a gzipped file of around 20MB
* mysql and zcat (from [url removed, login to view]) will be available on local machine PATH. Currently I have to run "zcat [url removed, login to view] |mysql -uuser db" manually on the command line.
The application needs to cope with the following problems, reporting them back intelligibly to the client:
* network error
* basic authentication problem
* http timeout
* http error
* can't write file
* corrupted gzip file
* db authentication failure
* db import failure
+ other foreseeable problems
The solution needs to work on XP, Vista and Windows8.
I guess the first step is to write a "Hello World!" COM object and see if I can install it and call it from VB6.