I am the owner of a small software company that has developed a Windows-based agricultural system. The software is hosted on a server in the US, but it is mainly used by customers in Mexico.
What does the software do?
Our software allows any agricultural company to manage all of their operations. This includes financials, production, and operations. We currently have 7 customers in Mexico that have been using the software for over a year. We purposely decided to expand very slowly as we have been fine tuning the tool and adding more functionality to cover a wide range of crops and operations.
As part of developing new functionality, we need to have the ability to let users use their cell phones or tablets to connect to the windows-based cloud system. One issue that we currently have is that some users need to capture data in paper while being in the field and bring the paperwork to the office to be captured into the system. Users currently access the system via Microsoft Remote Desktop Connection to a Windows 2016 server where the Windows system is hosted.
The data that needs to be captured in the field is employee attendance and the field activities that are completed throughout the day. The main reason for this is that our clients need to capture, control and calculate the cost of each activity in real time, therefore the need to capture it in the field as it is occurring.
Our software was developed in a not very common software, Clarion is that programming language which is developed by Softvelocity ([login to view URL]). This software has its own database which has a TPS extension.
The database is very solid and I have been using this language for more than a decade. I understand that there would be benefits to migrating the database to something more commonly used like Microsoft SQL. However, having TPS databases allows me to easily modify and update our small client base as the software is still evolving. I do consider migrating to SQL in the future.
I need a web application or APP, whatever is cheaper, that can connect to the server and a small set of tables, probably 2 or 3. Again, the main need is to allow users to capture field workers attendance and also allow them to capture the different activities along with the time consumed in each task. I have employee daily salary so calculating the task cost would be simple.
Some personal assumptions
1. I believe that through ODBC we can connect to the TPS database .
2. We can create a simple website that can be hosted in the server where the software is running.
3. Users in the field can connect to the website and have a login screen using their cell phones or tablets. There is phone and internet connection in the field.
4. Once inside the website, the user will have the ability to either enter atendance through scanning an ID which will have a bar code. We already have the worker IDs, and bluetooth scanners.
5. The user will have another option to register activities.
6. This screen would include the following:
- Worker ID (Read by user id)
- Activity ID (Read from a clipboard that will have a sheet with each activity in barcodes)
- Start Time
- End Time
7. Each record would be read in real time and update the TPS table(s) (Which already exists).
I think there are many other areas where we could start migrating our windows software into something that users can use through mobile devices, so it is of great interest for me to find a good programmer or company with whom I could partner for this and other projects and develop a long time relationship.
Below is our website which is still in development, but can give you an idea of what the agricultural software and our company do.
[login to view URL]
Thanks in advance,
16 pekerja bebas membida secara purata $200 untuk pekerjaan ini
---- EXPERT IS HERE ----------------- i went through full of your article and understand the situation. I am 17 years expert software professional , can give you a solution ---